On any given day, there are numerous things that I am stressing out over. Most of which I 100% should not be stressing out over. Today, I can think of five things off the top of my head that fall into this second category.
Five Things That I Need to Worry About Less At This Exact Moment
- What everyone I went to college with is doing right now. Every time I go on Facebook, I see all the cool shit that (what seems like) the rest of my graduating class is doing. Of course, the reality is that there are maybe 5 or 6 people doing anything truly amazing. It’s just that the people who are working low-paying jobs and catching up on The X-Files aren’t posting about it on FB. (Although I have been posting about it on Instagram.)
- What I am going to be doing in 1 year. Hopefully I’ll either be working at a very different job than my current one or be starting grad school in 365 days, give or take a few. But there’s no guarantee that either of those plans will pan out. And even if I am starting grad school, your guess is as good as mine as to where that will be. “Living in the moment” has never been my strong suit, but maybe I should give it a go.
- How my hair looks. My hair is at that weird, just-past-shoulder-length stage that I’ve always hated on myself. So now I’m having the usual “Do I cut it or grow it out?” debate. Obviously, it takes me at least 2 months to make up my mind on such a thing, which means I have several weeks of hating how I look to go.
- What will happen if my boyfriend and I break up. My boyfriend and I have lived together for 3 months now, and I still feel daily anxiety about the fact that a break-up will now be accompanied by a change of address. As if I didn’t have enough weird issues with relationship anxiety.
- The fact that I haven’t been writing fiction lately. For whatever reason, I’ve been reading and writing much more nonfiction than fiction lately. Writing and reading more fiction was one of my August resolutions, and as of this writing on August 25th, I have basically nothing to show for it. I did, however, have a cool (IMHO) story idea yesterday that I’ve been chewing on ever since. Fingers crossed.
These are all things that I have been worrying about extensively, even though I know that I shouldn’t be. But it’s hard to always apply logic to anxiety, isn’t it? At this point, the best thing I can do is to verbalize my anxieties and recognize that I need to try to let them go. And then try to let them go.
I’ve shared some things that I need to worry about less–but what do you worry about even though you know you shouldn’t?